All I wanted for Christmas was an oven mitt and a clean and organized basement. Did I get either? NO!
So I set about knitting myself and oven mitt, but while I was at it I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try out some color work experimentation because I have never attempted anything of the sort.
Not too shabby looking from the outside, but then an oversized mitten bound for felting can be quite forgiving in the final project.
A close up of the floats, no one was too ‘floaty’ for a first time, and nothing seemed too tight until…
But with a little pulling and stretching it seemed to sort itself out as you can see.
I used my own hand-dyed yarn for the orange tones and scraps of brown I had from other projects. It needed two trips through the washing machine for a really good felting. Heck I didn’t want to risk any well done fingers, I already have oven mitts that do that.
For the pattern, I researched a bunch on Ravelry, then I kinda cast on with what I had and went with it. There are a few different styles of thumbs and I chose my favorite, although it seems to have come out a bit stubby.
The finished project came out not too bad for a first time felted (on purpose) project, although it could use a good shave, but I’ll be gosh darned if it doesn’t keep my hands from getting the least bit burned though!
I guess I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed until Mother’s Day for the basement. One can hope…