I’m sure y’all thought I musta really died cause it’s been nearly a month since a blog post, but that’s not the case, just really ill. So sick, that even the thoughts of sitting upright and typing for any length of time seemed too taxing… but I’m trying to ease back into the saddle of life minute by minute. My family & friends have been so supportive and helpful: Thank you all! Keep the blessings coming.
I have had time on my hands to finish a few UFO’s and catch up listening to my favorite podcast Never Not Knitting, Alana does such a great job that I was flabbergasted to listen to the fact that she may or may not be back after maternity leave (I really hope so – I love her style) check her out! As you can tell I started this post a bit ago but wanted to have more of a story to tell before I posted it:
The first thing I thought I learned when dyeing yarn was to test your yarn and dye with small samples. So of course I did this before attempting to dye nearly 900 yards of wool for a sweater project for me. I was looking for just the right green. Not too bright, not too olive, not too mossy, not to yellow-y, but the just right for me green. Yeah I know it when I’ll see it. My test samples came out wonderfully, I chose the shade I wanted and reproduced the dye recipe for the volume of water and wool.
So after a few tears were shed, I invested in some acid dyes and tried again….
I love how the color turned out, a rich chocolate-brown with navy undertones. Certainly not the green I had originally intended but a perfect color to go with the pattern I received for a gift from loneknitter: Idlewood designed by Cecily Glowik MacDonald. I have really been following Cecily’s designs and love everything that falls off her needles! If I only had the time to knit everything she’s been publishing. My Idlewood has been good therapy for me, a bigger project to just pick up and knit a few rounds when I’ve been healing mode.